Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Pirate Ship That Wasn't Meant to be.


Ethan really wanted a pirate themed birthday party this year. It is the first time we have had a "friend" party and I really wanted everything to be special for him. I decided to build a 3-D pirate ship for the cake. I had it all figured out, but forgot about gravity. The sides where too heavy and the ship split into pieces. After a frantic call home, my Dad calmed me down enough I could think about the problem and after consulting my vast cake knowledge (from watching Food Networks "Ace of Cakes") I fixed the problem by tearing the layers apart and putting in platforms. Crisis averted, or so I thought.
I guess this cake offended someone in another life. Maybe it was a rich man, like Mister Burns, and Karma felt that he should be reincarnated as a doomed cake. Maybe I took on too big a project. Maybe life just happens. Whatever it was, this cake had a contract out on its short life. Enjoy watching our disaster.


I have a few more fun pics to add for this birthday post.
Yes, Ella did wear a princess dress to the pirate party. Ethan was less than thrilled, but I had to explain he couldn't dictate what she wore.
We went to Pizza Hut for Ethan's birthday dinner. I was trying to get a nice picture of Eric with the girls, but somebody thought this was the funniest thing ever and did it to 3 more pictures.
The picture I finally got.

Me and the birthday boy. This is my tired face from waiting 45 minutes to order, trying to take pictures that he blocks, and trying to get him to smile. This was the closest thing to a smile we could get, but you know what, I love it.

2 comments:

laurdacooj said...

happy birthday Ethan! Nicole- you are awesome, your cake totally rocks!!! Hope life is good with three adorable kids! I can't wait to meet Olivia!

Lindsey said...

That's so funny! You are such an awesome mom, what a lucky birthday boy!