Monday, November 4, 2013

On The Bright Side of Crazy People

I am having a VERY hard time with our new primary president.  We have fundamental difference on how to interact with children, other adults, and even basic gospel tenants.  The only week I haven't come home crying from church was the week she wasn't there.

We have our ward primary program next week and it has been a crazy fest.  I don't enjoy being told what to do and micromanaged like a low level lackey in a huge corporation, but there was a bright side.  She informed me I would be playing a duet with Ethan.  Didn't ask either of us, just told us we would be doing it.  She told me to just write a piece to play.  I informed her I don't write music and she told me her 12 year old daughter was musical enough to do it if I found myself lacking.

I luckily found a Sally DeFord piece that required minimal changes to it for Ethan.  Ella found out and felt left out.  I couldn't find any other duets for any of the songs we are performing so I was at a loss.  I asked my piano teacher and in his infinite wisdom he basically said "Quit whining.  You can write one."  So I did.  It's not amazing, but it IS prettier than the original and Ella is very proud.  I've ended up rewriting the arrangements for 3 songs now and even though they probably all sound the same I am pretty proud of them.

I still don't want to go to primary but I am thankful to that crazy woman for pushing me.

Here are the kids playing their songs. They originally were playing with both hands, but they were getting nervous, and this is their first time playing in front on anyone, so we simplified.  (note to self, do not wear baggy shirts next to tiny people):

4 comments:

Julia said...

Those sound amazing! Lincoln scooted right next to the laptop to watch, he was enraptured. I tried to set him back a teensy bit to set him on my lap and he freaked out. He is definitely a fan! Great job, Nicole!

Joy said...

Nice work Nicole! They're beautiful. And hurray to Ella and Ethan. I never would have had the courage to play a duet and they're awesome.

Joan said...

What a surprise! I didn't know how well the kids could play. I guess I am not around enough to witness their talents. Well done to all of you. You are amazing! Your ward will be impressed when you all perform. Good luck!

Stefanie Miller said...

I love those videos of you guys making music together! They are beautiful! What a wonderful thing to share with your children. :-)