Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"You can't get much bigger."


That was one of the wonderful comments I received on Sunday at church. I am a little sick of insensitive comments that are all directly related to how big I am. Yup, I'm big. I'm 37 weeks pregnant, what do they expect. One man in the ward came up and said "Sister Stott, I lost a bet because of you. I thought you wouldn't be here this Sunday because you are so big, I thought you would have the baby by now." Another great comment was "Wow, you're big and low." From now on I would like everyone to know that we pregnant women do not need these comments. Here are some alternatives: "I bet you're baby is going to be just as pretty as you." "When are you due? (response in here) How exciting." Never, never, never say in response to the due date "Wow, you've got a ways to go," or "You're pretty big for being that far along." (I've had both of these responses and they are very demoralizing)
So on to happier things. I just realized I didn't have a single picture of my grotesque belly for this pregnancy, so today after my haircut I made Eric take some pictures. You can all see how big I am now, and can make responses to people at home (or me if they are appropriate, see above).
The kids wanted to be in the pictures really badly and I think the picture speaks volumes about their personalities. Ella wanted to be in the picture to hug the baby, and Ethan wanted to be in the picture to make a silly face. Silly kids.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'm excited for you to have this baby! I get really big when I am pregant and so I know what you mean about all the comments people make. It won't be that much longer!!! Keep us updated!

Meg said...

People still make comments about how big I was when I was pregnant. It was TWO YEARS AGO! Let it go people. I agree, people do make really insensitive comments. I love pregnant belly pictures so I am so glad that you posted them. And with your first two kids as evidence I think it is a guarantee that your baby will be as beautiful as you are. You have a gorgeous family! Keep the pictures coming. I love it.

Tera said...

Hey Nicole, I saw your blog on Laurels and thought I would come by and say Hi! It's great to see what you've been up too! What a great family! Congratulations on the upcoming baby! I think you look great - your arms and legs look so thin!

Tera (Herle) Schneider

proudmamablogga said...

You ARE beautiful. You have retained no water it looks like. Lucky.

It seems people make at least two assumptions about pregnant women:
1-that comments regarding weight and size are suddenly appropriate
2-that there no longer exists personal space-everyone TOUCHES you.

my experience, anyway.

Lindsey said...

Yeah, the comments are pretty funny (ha ha) and it seems like people forget that you're actually a person, and not just a womb. It's like they don't realize that pregnant women can actually talk about things other than their pregnancies. Anyway, your kids are adorable, and I'm sure this one will be, too!

P.S. I like your haircut!

Shannon said...

Hey Nicole, found you on Emily's blog! Congrats on the pregnancy...I just had my 3rd (another boy) in August. A couple of Sundays before he was born I swear everyone in my ward commented on my size and asked when he was due. The bishop even pulled Micah aside and asked if I needed to be released from my calling. All I could think was, "Geez, I must look REALLY bad!"

P.S. Check out our blog, too! I'm so glad to see what you guys are up to!