Friday, October 29, 2010

Why Is October Always So Crazy?-UPDATED

It has been a very interesting week. I've been run ragged with all the different activities, deadlines, baking, costume making, birthdays, and parties that have gone on this week that it is actually a relief to sit down for once and just type for my blog. Sorry to everyone who called me this week, not only am I still recovering my normal voice from being sick, but my mind has been elsewhere as the stress has mounted.
I will go into these more for anyone interested, but I want to review the week before my brain wipes it from my memory as a self defense mechanism.

Sunday: Played 3 hours of piano at church and found feud with program lady has escalated.
Worked on costumes

Monday: Helped kids carve pumpkins at school for zoo spook-tacular from 8:15-11:00, luckily Eric took an early lunch to help out.

Went grocery shopping
Worked on costumes
Had family home evening where we carved our own pumpkins.

Worked on costumes.

Tuesday: Went to Ella's class to read a couple of books while her teacher did testing
Worked on costumes.
Went to zoo spook-tacular to find the kids' pumpkins (Ella's had giant "E" on back so we could find it)


Wednesday: Made a QUADRUPLE batch of sugar cookie dough.
Worked on costumes.
Baked half the sugar cookie dough batch (roughly 50 cookies)
Worked on costumes.
Wrapped presents.

Thursday: OPENED PRESENTS - Livi's 2!!!!
Went to Ethan's class to help kids who didn't finish writing assignment at their home.
Went to mini plays put on for Ethan's class by high school kids.
Went to do visiting teaching (which time was changed as I was pulling up).
Baked rest of sugar cookie dough.
Took Ella to ballet.
Baked brownies for Livi's cake.
Ordered pizza.
Had Bagley's over to celebrate Livi's b-day.

Iced 91 cookies.


Friday: Got stuff ready for both kid's parties.
Took Livi to 2 year check up, got 2 shots and finger stick for blood test.
Dropped off Eric's forgotten lunch.
Tried to finish my costume.
Went to kids' parade and parties at school.

Worked on Eric's costume.
Went to ward party.

Cleaned up all the sewing crap all over my house.
Sat on couch and refused to move.

My Octobers always seem to be like this. The rest of the month wasn't a cake walk either. I always feel more stress in October than even December. Maybe it's because I have all month to worry and plan, were as in December you get the last week to only worry about how you are going to pay for everything you did the 3 weeks before. I'll do longer posts on the major activities, but right now I am going to bed and letting my mind just rest.
p.s. OUR WINDOWS CAME IN!!!! Hopefully we can start getting some real work done on our house!

UPDATE: To clarify, the feud is new, and not really a big deal, but funny. I did start the costumes in September, but remember I did 5 costumes by hand. Livi's had hand beading and a pleated bodice. Ethan's and Livi's I had to adapt the patterns quite a bit and they involved appliques and Ethan's is reversible. Ella's didn't even have a pattern, so I had to make a mock up in muslin. I didn't procrastinate, I just had a full plate. Sorry. Oh and I did all the carving for our family because it went really late and kids had to go to bed. They picked out stencils and helped outline, but I did the actual carving while Eric put the kids down. FYI

5 comments:

Holly said...

You're AH-MAZ-ING! I'm sorry it was so stressful! Those costumes are great! Did you do everything then? I wish I had your talent!

I can't believe you did that many cookies. They look yummy enough to eat.

I'm assuming Livi likes brownies more than cake?

Your family has mad skillz with pumpkin carving! I still haven't advanced from doing simple pumpkin faces.

Is this feud something I should remember? It sounds like a delight. ;)

Julia said...

McKay says, "Two thumbs WAY WAY up!". We're both so freaking impressed. In the future, I will be a much-lacking mom in comparison to you. Those costumes are SO SO cool!!

Joan said...

Loved the pics! Those pumpkins were amazing, the costumes were amazing, and the cookies were amazing. Simply put, you are amazing. One recommendation for the future would be to start making the costumes in say...August or September so you are not under so much pressure in October. Just a thought.

Nikki S said...

I did start the costumes in September. I've been working on them for 4 weeks. Livi's had a pleated bodice and hand beading. Ella's didn't have a pattern so I had to make one out of muslim. I had 5 costumes, so really I should have had 5 weeks, not 4. Yes I made all the costumes, even my top hat, by hand. The feud is new, just this last week, and keeps getting worse.

utahutes01 said...

Wow Nicole! You are so talented with the needle and thread! You guys looked great - hope it was fun! I am now in the mood to made sugar cookies, just not as many as you made! At our schools there is a rule against homemade goodies - so I just have to make them for us.
Christie