Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mutant Cookies From The Black Lagoon

This is NOT how my cookies turned out

I'm not quite sure how I ended up baking sugar cookies for both Ethan and Ella's classes, but that is what happened. One minute I want to make a batch to cheer me up and all of a sudden I need enough to feed 40 kids and adults. Oh, and my kids desperately want them the next day, because you can't wait an extra day when you are 6. Impossible.

If you have ever tried to make sugar cookies you know that it is all about waiting. Waiting for the dough to chill before you bake. Waiting for the cookies to cool before you ice. Waiting for the icing to set before you transport. Trying to fit that all in one morning was not the mood elevator that I had wanted making these cookies to be.

I also had the added pressure of knowing there is one Jewish girl in Ethan's class and 2 Jehovah's Witness' in Ella's class. Sooooooooooo, not every cookie could be super Christmas-ie. Trying to not alienate these very nice kids, I decided a star and gingerbread man wouldn't be too bad. Oh, but wait, what color are gingerbread men?

Have you ever tried to make brown food coloring? It is not as easy as I thought it would be. When I was little and tried to mix colors it seemed like every thing you mixed would produce brown. Not so when you are bigger and actually want to achieve that muddy brown that red and blue always use to make. Now all you get is a weirder and weirder color of purple. Mix in a little black and you have a color that seems to have grown in a radioactive swamp.

Since this was a very bad color to use on gingerbread men, unless you want the kids running in fear, I thought maybe a light sky blue would be good, but of course they ended up looking more like mini Captain America's.
The kicker is the Jewish girl picked a Christmas tree.

Also while I was there I noticed Ethan's desk. What am I doing wrong?

2 comments:

Holly said...

I tried making sugar cookies yesterday for our young women activity. I decided to go easy and just bought a packet for sugar ingredients and just added the egg, butter, etc. They did not turn out like planned! The dough after mixed did not stick together as it should have. It didn't roll out like it should have. It needed to be baked longer than the packet said it needed to be. We picked a few of the good ones to give away and loaded the rest with lots of frosting.

I also didn't have any sprinkles so I got out some old candy that I had left over from school. Turns out the nerds I had left over from school was really old. Some of the nerds were brown. Lol and the girls used them anyway!

Anonymous said...

The cookies all look good to me, but I think I would have chosen the tree too because of the lights and star...very pretty :)
Ethan's desk cracks me up, HA! I wouldn't worry though, I think his organizational skills are typical of the male species, at least until they get married, HA!