Tuesday, December 6, 2011

To Me; From Me

After months of calling, scheduling appointments, having nobody show up to appointments, playing more phone tag, and waiting, we FINALLY got our fireplace fixed (there is only one place in town that does fireplaces). What we thought would be a simple removal of a gas insert and putting on a chimney cap turned into our "Christmas Gift To Ourselves!" (guess I'll have to wait for next year to get an elliptical and loose weight, dang!)

So after a fun afternoon of Livi not napping while the guys worked and worked, we ended up with a real, working, wood burning fireplace. Yeah!!!! The workers kept trying to get me to stay with gas saying I wouldn't have to worry about wood and it would still work in a power outage. I had to explain that Eric and I both adamantly wanted wood. They looked at me like I was crazy but managed to get it switched over.What I didn't tell them is my husband is expecting the apocalypse and wants someplace we can cook our freshly shot deer meat. He wants some type of warmth for when society fails and we are holed up in our living room trying to survive.

Me? This is what I wanted it for:

4 comments:

jes said...

I love you. =)

Michelle said...

I wish I could roast marshmallows in my house. That is awesome! My husband feels the same way about the end of the world so we got a BBQ grill that you have to start with coals and wait for two hours for it to warm up instead of just turning a knob and cooking. Hopefully we'll be glad someday?

milkus said...

Good move. Last week with our Nebraska-like winds we lost power for 36 hours. I had neighbors at my house for a full day because we are the only ones with a wood burning stove. It kept us and all the kids warm and I made a pot of homemade chicken soup over it. You won't regret it!
Also, the cookie thing is hilarious. I love that that girl took the Christmas tree. You are a kind mother. I feel that morning of Christmas cookie craziness in my future as I make gluten-free treats for every classroom party from K-forever. Let me know any tips on classroom baking!

milkus said...

Uh, apparently I am logged on as Chris. This is Megan, Chris doesn't make soup. Or cookies. But he eats both, so we are a good match.c