Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Poor Father

In the mid of a breakdown I decided to use my birthday money and do something completely selfish.  I upgraded the phone I had, had for 4 years and got an iPhone.  I was hoping it would help me feel better, and it did, a little bit.  One part especially made me laugh:

You can put into the "Siri" program your relationships with your phone contacts.  This saves time if you need to ask it to call someone.  I successfully taught it that Eric is my husband, Sharon is my mom, but then I tried to teach it my dad. 

I thought "Rulon isn't too different from Sharon.  If Siri could figure out that 'on' in Sharon is pronounced 'in' then why couldn't it do it for Rulon."

Silly me.  This is the conversation I had with Siri:
"Rulon Beesley" somehow became "Real Linda Beesley."  I'm not sure how she could manage Beesley, but not Rulon, but I gave a little laugh and tried again.

"Reelin," really?  It couldn't go through my limited contacts and figure out I was saying Rulon?  I decided to give in and pronounce it the way everyone mistakenly does.  Instead of the correct "Rue-lynn" I said "Rue-lawn".  Amazingly enough:
Sorry Dad.  Not even Siri will acknowledge the correct way to say your name.  Maybe I should put you in my contacts as Steve.

No comments: