Monday, November 29, 2010

No Boys Allowed, or Christmas Tree Shopping

Eric and I are pretty good about agreeing before buying big purchases (except for life altering puppies). We discuss before any big ticket items are bought and we try hard to be frugal and only buy things that we "need." Occasionally though we disagree as to what we "need." Sometimes I "need" a new pair of brown knee high boots, and rather than disagree Eric gets a sage look on his face and says "ok, if you think you really need them then go ahead." Nothing stops me in my spending tracks faster than Eric agreeing but with the undertone of "if you buy it your children will starve." I've taken to buying any recklessly unnecessary purchases while he is at work so I don't have to meet his pitying gaze and kind words. I thought I had it all worked out, until I took the kids shopping to get a Christmas tree.

Eric was still at work, we needed a new artificial tree so I decided to do it after I picked the kids up from school. I thought the kids would be as excited as I was, and was really looking forward to it. I told them what our errand was and they talked the whole way to the store about how big a tree we were going to get.

Christmas trees have come a long way since we bought our first 2 foot, tiny, fake tree. They have beautiful life like branches, gently dusted with snow and pine cones,and lights pre-attached. I was drooling over them while the kids lobbied for the bright purple monstrosity. I had made up my mind. I was buying this perfect tree that I could love for years to come.

"It doesn't cost that much if you divide it up over 50 years!" I told myself in justification.

"I could love this tree FOREVER!"
I tried not to think of my husband patiently nodding his head and saying "if you really need it..." I picked up the giant box to put it in my cart when Ethan came over.

"What are you doing Mom?" he inquires innocently
"Getting our new tree." I gasp with excitement.
"Which one is it?" he replies thoughtfully.
"That one right there, the really pretty one." I answer, my face exuding joy.
Ethan looks at the display, then abruptly scowls at me and points to the price tag. Dang, I knew we should have kept him in the dark about money longer.

We got the cheap tree.

2 comments:

Heather said...

hahaha that is a funny story. Just like his daddy. I have a feeling my Tyler will be the same way.

I'm re-thinking my need for some nice brown boots....

Michelle said...

Yeah, shopping is NEVER better with the kids involved. I have learned this lesson again and again. For some reason I keep thinking it will be better next time, but it never is.
Oh, and your tree looks great!