Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Feel Like I Was Hit By A Mac Truck


We've had some eventful days. Ella's end of the year dance program was yesterday and we spent ALL week preparing for it. We had rehearsal on Tuesday and Wednesday and then a full dress rehearsal on Thursday. Just carting kids to and from and helping with hair and costumes made me exhausted. I should have known it would only get worse.

Friday night Eric and I got to go watch the program, which was actually really good. Ella and I had to be there at 5:45, the program started at 6:30 and we left the high school at 10:26. Yep, the program was 4 HOURS LONG. The tour on Gilligan's Island was suppose to be shorter than that program. There were 58 dances. 58. 5-8. We were all very tired on Saturday, but looking forward to that night's performance. We should have known better.

On Saturday I signed up to be a "Chaperone Mom" which means I was a backstage helper for Ella's class. I was in charge of 11, 5&6 year olds (two of which are ADD) for 5 hours. I feel like I did after my car accidents. I think I was running on pure adrenaline last night and now I feel sooooooooooo worn out and achy. On the bright side, I did my turn and the other moms can do it next year.

Even as hard as it all was, and as blurry thinking as I am now, I am really glad that Ella has been able to participate with this dance company and I am extremely glad that she had such a good time that she is talking about "next year."
(This is why I love watching her dance. She exudes pure joy.)

Ella's first dance was a tap dance to "Sugar Time." She was a little disappointed her costume wasn't pink (I'm okay not having another pink costume in the house) but she loved how sparkly and girly it was.

Her second dance was a ballet number to the nursery rhyme "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary." The other class in her age group did a "jazz" number (mostly pantomime to the words) to "Candy Man," but Ella's class did so well they actually got to perform a real ballet dance. Ella also got to be the middle (since she was the only one who could consistently find center stage). She liked these costumes a little more since they had flowers on them and that ups the fancy factor.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Ella is so amazing! I wish I were half as good a dancer. And I don't mean at age 6, I mean now. And kudos for you, I don't think I could have survived watching after all those kiddos!

Joan said...

Ella looks so adorable. She is truly "all girl", which is a good thing. Can't wait to give her a hug in two weeks (along with the rest of you, of course).

Diane said...

Loved this! Ella is amazing...she was so much better than all the others! That girl can dance! I loved the "Gilligan's Island" reference...laughed so hard! Thanks for sharing!