Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Never Learned To Read...and The Best pt 4

Okay, so that isn't exactly true. I did learn to read. In fact I grew up in a house where reading was not only encouraged it was darn well expected that you would read all the time, especially in the bathtub (and sometimes, if it was a really good book, in the shower. Go ahead and judge me). My parents not only aided in our addiction to books, they were down right happy to do it. They still do. I think it is truly not a Beesley outing to Tucanos unless we head over to Borders and stock up on the latest books we have been dying to read!

This is only one of the hundred things I am thankful to my parents for. I will focus on them later. Today was just about reading.

The Best Part 4
EpcotThe kids climbing on, and I am sure insulting all the native Norwegian workers while doing so, the giant troll that watches over the shop there.

You have never lived until you have eaten true French bread. I guess, by my own reckoning, that I have never lived, but at Epcot you sure come close. I have had honest to goodness dreams about eating the French bread from there ever since we went when I was 17. It was the one thing I demanded of the day: Stopping to eat at the French Patisserie. And we did...twice.

Epcot has come a long ways from just the world fair feel. There are lots more rides, like the insane Test Track where you get to feel like a car test dummy (or in my case severely car sick), to the Nemo ride that is like a trip under the sea. We got to see our "futures" on Spaceship earth, and learn more about how imagination shapes our world.

They even have a program to make the countries more interesting for kids where you join Kim Possible (one of my Disney favorites) on a secret spy mission. When you complete all the educational tasks you use your special spy phone to send a signal and something cool happens, like a chimney in Norway blows smoke, or a crazy singing robot pops up from a shopping display in Japan. It was fun, but asking a 6 year old and 8 year old to share the top secret phone was a little dicey.


About half way through our trip around the world the kids got bored and Eric headed back to the Imaginarium with them, which is set up with tons of cute learning centers like a piggy bank interactive game that teaches kids about saving money, a fire station with giant laser tag like house to teach about fire safety, and even an area where you can put yourself into video game.

While this was going on my mom and I enjoyed eating our way around the rest of the world...I mean seeing all the things the countries had to offer...to eat (because, as my mom said "what happens in Epcot stays in Epcot."....unless your daughter keeps a blog I guess).

This is about where Mom got sick and went back to the hotel (we brought our cold with us) and we went with Dad back to France to eat dinner. We also stopped in at the countries the kids missed before and got their "passports" stamped to show they went to almost all the countries (sorry Mexico and China). In Italy, by a very beautiful fountain that also seemed to draw the parks smokers right to it. We got to have the no-smoking talk again. Touche Epcot, turning a nasty few minutes into a learning experience.

All in all a very educational, cultural and yummy experience.

I wish I had more pictures but I was so busy doing and enjoying that I forgot to take a lot. Oh well, at least I am writing about it while I still remember it.

3 comments:

Sharonbees said...

I feel cheated out of our 2nd meal in the patisserie! Ethan & Eric were good sports at the Princess lunch, weren't they?

Joan said...

This post brought back many good memories of Epcot for us one year ago. So much fun to visit the other countries. One great thing was that it wasn't at all crowded that day so we could enjoy anything we wanted to.

Michelle said...

I'm with you on the French Patisserie. The best food and definitely my favorite part of Epcot when I was a teenager too.
(Sarah is sitting with me watching me type and she can see the picture of Joan so she is saying "There's Grandma" over and over.)