Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Happened????? or Eric Ages Despite My Best Efforts

I don't know how, but Eric had another birthday. Somehow we went from a 17 & 18 year old couple to what we are today. I don't quite believe it, that 15 years went by, but our garage seems to have ample evidence that we've been hoarding for at least that long! (In honor of Eric's birthday I ordered a dumpster so our poor cars will continue to fit into it).

As Eric ages he becomes more and more like his dad, which is a wonderful thing. One way that he is developing Alan-like tendencies (besides mixing food that should never be mixed outside of a stomach) is that he would rather do the easiest thing versus doing something he really wants to. Case in point was breakfast.

Eric LOVES breakfast. More specifically he loves to eat restaurant breakfasts. He loves pancakes made on an industrial griddle, multiple syrup choices, and eggs made on a skillet soaked in lard. There are few things Eric will express an opinion on, but I happen to know how much he truly loves ordering breakfast. If he were a teen girl his folder would say "Eric Hearts Breakfast." Well, his birthday actually fell on a Saturday this year and I thought it would be fun to go to Perkins for breakfast.

Me: jumping up and down "Let's go order pancakes at Perkins!!!!!"
Eric: long pause "Hmmm, let's just go to the bakery."
Me: stunned into 2 second pause "What the heck?"
Eric: "Well, the kids like the bakery better and I can get a bagel sandwich."
Me: "What the heck?"
Eric: "I like it fine, and it is so much easier. If we go to Perkins we have to deal with kids while we wait for food."
Me: "What the heck?"

So....we went to the bakery. It was his birthday and if there is one thing I believe in it is the birthday person's right to pick all food for the day. I'm not going to force him to have what he really wants (although I did try).

First thing in the morning we opened gifts. The kids were shocked when Eric suggested we eat first. Livi was also a little shocked that none of the presents were for her. The pinewood derby took up a lot of the day, but we did try and go fishing, but it was too cold and windy, so Eric and Livi braved the playground while Ethan, Ella and I shivered in the car.

I did put my foot down and refuse to let him have a chocolate cake and got him a cheesecake instead.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Hahaha! This cracked me up--"What the heck?" Eric's too nice; I want what I want for my birthday! I'm selfish like that.