Friday, April 27, 2012

Visiting Lincoln Part 1

 Eric had his last meeting for his "young professional lawyers the BAR wants for leadership, who want to do other stuff good too" in Lincoln, and I thought since it was the last time (I think) someone would pay us to drive out to Lincoln we should take everyone along and have a family vacation.  Most people don't think of Lincoln as a great vacation spot, but coming from Scottsbluff where the most exciting thing is the annual corn husking competition, if is a veritable paradise.


The first day Eric had meetings so the kids and I were on our own for entertainment.  Everyone wanted to go to the Children's Museum, but it didn't open first thing, so we went to Barnes and Noble, and the mall first.  This was the "Merry-Go-Round-Of-Death" that was at the mall.
notice Ethan with his Starbucks hot chocolate!  He is my true chocolate conisuer.
I have never been on one that sped up and stayed quite so fast, lasted so long, and took forever to slow back down.  Basically in the first 10 seconds I was trying to keep down my breakfast, and that lasted another 400 minutes. 

At the Children's Museum (which is most definitely the coolest one we have ever been to) we were a little disappointed that the water section was being remodeled, but still managed to spend 4.5 hours playing with: prairie dog tunnels,

 face paint

Ella wanted me to do it too.  We were fairies.
puppet shows,

fighting over stage sounds,

 large chairs,

small grocery stores,
and of course the space area.
I know they are space suits, but every time I see this I think "We are the knights who say 'Ni'!"
We finally finished up and went over to meet Eric.  His meeting was right across from the state capital, so we spent a few minutes seeing where Eric has gone to argue in front of the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
Supreme Court

Seeing the Court of Appeals (kind of)
Where the state legislature meets

On the outside of the building all the county names are inscribed, but we had never managed to find ours.  Ethan had sharp eyes this time and we managed to find it while we walked around the grounds.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I'm excited for Lincoln to get older so we can go to the children's museum in Portland! Also, I'm self-absorbed enough that when I read this title I was like, "Wait, they've never met Lincoln. . . " Glad it was a fun trip!

Sharonbees said...

This post makes me want to go to Lincoln, too!

Joan said...

That really does look like a fantastic children's museum. I am glad that you were able to make the trip as a family and have so many memorable experiences there.