Saturday, January 12, 2013

El Misterio De Los Pastelitos, or my life sounds more interesting as a Spanish Soap Opera


This last week has had lots of goodies in it.  When I say lots I mean "so much sugar the Kool-Aid Man would look down on us."  We had a friend over on Sunday so I made sweet rolls to start the week off on the right (slightly swollen, diabetic) foot.  Ethan turned 10 on Wednesday so we had treats for scouts, school class, family celebration and his party with friends.  My brain feels fuzzy from the sugar shock.

On Friday I was a little stressed, in a clawing my eyeballs out with my fingernails kind of way.  "We" (Eric declaring over dinner the phrase "I haven't talked to Mom about this...") decided to let Ethan invite 6 friends over for a sleepover.  I was expecting at least 2 to not be able to come.  Nope.  All of them RSVP'd.  I had to clean the play room that had been completely trashed.  The game that we had centered the entire party around still hadn't come in the mail and of course I had physical therapy that morning.

I baked cupcakes for the party, set everything up, and ran off to get the kids from school.  When I got home I found, to my horror, only 12 of the 18 cupcakes I had baked remaining.  In the middle of the counter sat one unwrapped, half eaten cupcake.  So of course I jumped (leaped off a cliff head first) to the following conclusion: A stranger had broken into my house and eaten 6 cupcakes.  I went into a fight or flight adrenaline rush and started herding the kids back into the car to drive to the police station and report the break in.

Now remember all the sugar I had eaten all week, and the fact my meds have another 2 weeks to fully kick in.  After a few tense moments where my kids were looking at me like I had two heads, my eyes alighted on another clue: cupcake wrappers on the floor.  When my the logical part of my brain finally caught up to the crazy side I figured out what happened.

I had moved the couch over so the boys could play more comfortably on the Wii.  Moved it over closer to the counter.  Our little gymnast of a dog climbed on the couch, jumped on the counter and managed to eat 6 of the cupcakes (well 4 1/2 total.  We found some pieces around).  Of course they were chocolate.  6 chocolate cupcakes in a 9 lbs dog.

Eric got to induce, and I got to clean up vomiting in our tiny "treasure."  On the bright-side we didn't have an intruder.  On the down side I did wake up several times totally CONVINCED there really was an intruder who ate the cupcakes, blamed the dog, and was hiding in the storage area waiting to kill us all, or eat the rest of the cupcakes.  Not a restful night, but on the bright-side we were NOT all horribly murdered and the dog felt much better after the mess she made in the shower!

No comments: