Monday, January 14, 2013

"Let's Get The H@$& Out Of Here!!!"

My family has a little saying based on a church meeting from my parents younger years.  In a Stake Conference (I think) in front of a visiting General Authority a little boy was making a stink and his dad picked him up to carry him out.  As he was being carried out the little boy yelled at the top of his lungs "Let's get the he** out of here!"  We've changed it to "heck" but it still is a great all-purpose comment.

Being a member of the Church has many opportunities to either laugh or be offended.  Since I love to laugh, and being offended takes too much energy, I find myself laughing more and more the smaller our ward gets.

Yesterday we had the (mis)fortune of sitting in the second row right in front of the first counselor's family.  They are a wonderful family, a great addition to the ward, but one of their little girls has some learning/behavior problems and tends to act out in Sacrament meeting.  Our friend, Chad, was giving a talk and this is what happened (paraphrased since I didn't record it for accuracy, dang it):

Chad: If we are feeling unhappy we need to look down deep down into ourselves and find the ways we need to be better...

Girl: "NO, YOU JERK!!!

Chad:(stunned pause) We can do a better job of reading our scriptures...

Girl: NO!!!

Chad: (slighter pause) We can be better about saying our prayers...

Girl: NNOOO!!!!!!

Chad: (trying hard to ignore what is going on) And try to live our lives according to the Gospel...

Girl: NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!

Luckily Chad is a pretty mellow guy and rolled with the "commentary."  Sitting in front of the family we happened to know the little girl was actually screaming at her brother who was trying to take her markers, but for anyone else it may have seemed as though she REALLY did not want to try and live a better life!

Anyone else have any "fun" Church stories?  I always love them!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Funny.

Nothing as good as yours, but my niece was opening a gift (a princess molding play-doh set, which she loves). Upon unwrapping, with all the SINCERE enthusiasm she could muster, she cried happily, "A box!"

Sandee said...

Kei asked if he could toast with the sacrament cups. The people behind us got a kick out of that one. I heard him all the way up at the organ.

Kyle and Emily Stott said...

When my eldest brother Ryan was about three he started to act out in Sacrament so my dad picked him up to take him in the hall. Ryan yelled/sobbed, "No Dad! Please don't spank me!" for all the congregation to hear.