Friday, May 3, 2013

What Happened To "Dreams Really Do Come True"?????? or Day 7

One thing I have hated, probably because it has always bugged my mom, is the saying in classrooms/movies/books/tv shows "You can be anything you want to be."  No, no you can't.  I could never be a gymnast because I am 5'10" tall and it more difficult to lug that frame around parallel bars.  Julia couldn't be a run way model at fashion week because she is short (not that she isn't pretty enough).  Not every child has the potential to be President.  If you have a 90 IQ you aren't going to grow up to be a neurosurgeon.  There are limitation put on us by genetics, sorry.

Having said that I feel a little bit like I have missed out on the dreams I did have that were possible so Day 7 is a little on the sad side for me.

Day 7: What is your dream job, and why?

I would love to be a book reviewer.  I could never be an editor because it has certainly been drilled into my head that I suck at writing/spelling/grammar/English in general.  I am not creative enough to write my own book plus...see the sentence before.  But....I LOVE to read.  I read all the time, always before bed, and I go through books quickly.  I power read.  It is not uncommon for me to go through 2 books a week (unless I am in funk, like now, then it takes me longer because I don't feel like doing anything but laying around).
Books at the side of my bed waiting to be read.
I have read so many books I don't think I could come within 1,000 if I guesstimated.  I have books in every room of our house except the guest bathroom.  I have 11 bookcases, plus shelves all around my house bursting with books.  This would be silly, but I also love to reread books.  There is always something I missed, or that makes more sense the second time around (or 3rd or 4th or 5th time).  Having read so many I feel like I have a pretty wide and varied idea of what makes a good book.  There are books where 3 chapters in I know it is a stinker, but I always finish because I hate to leave a story un-ended.
Some of my favorite books.
I would LOVE to be able to read a book, give my opinion of it, and get paid to do it.  There is honestly no other profession I would love more!
Some of my other favorite books.

In real life: Livi recently got to pick out a toy for allowance, for doing chores (because she still thinks a nickel is worth more than a dime because it is bigger) which we do about ever 6 weeks or so and normally it is something small like a chap stick.  This time I let her get something a little bigger and she picked out a puppy thingy.  It barks and moves a little and she LOVES it.


She wanted a picture with "both her puppies."

Tonks went on the couch to keep a look out for menacing kitties, so Livi and her puppy had to do it too.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I used to want to be an editor, but The Proposal kind of freaked me out in that area. I just wanted to read books and edit them, none of the other stuff.

I found a site a while ago that DOES pay you to read books and write a review of them, wish I could remember what it is. . . maybe something to look into, though? Probably a scam, though, since it sounds so awesome.

I'm jealous of your book collection. I go to the library a lot lately, but I want to keep them!

Mom/Nancy said...

The side of my bed looks like yours!! And sometimes I have 3 books going at once. :-) I LOVE to read, but I wouldn't join you in the reviewing! I'll leave that to you!:-)