Friday, July 19, 2013

Rewind, or Livi's "Graduation"

I didn't have time to write about this before we left and I kind of, sort of, forgot to after I got home.

There are somethings about Scottsbluff I doubt I will ever get use to.  One of those things is the mass hysteria surrounding any type of school function, but more specifically school "graduations."  I put that in quotes because I was kind of under the impression a graduation was a big move, a change, to another school or opportunity.  Here it seems to mean you finished a year.  But that doesn't mean that you celebrate less because you do it so often, in fact it means you celebrate MORE!!!

Ethan's kindergarten graduation was my first dose of this phenomenon.  I know a lot of places do kindergarten graduations, so no biggie, but I wasn't prepared for entire extended families bringing balloons and giant gifts to the "graduates."

School music programs are crazy too.  Literally ever member of the extended family comes to the programs.  It is one grade at a time, but if you don't get there at least 45 minutes early then don't expect to get a seat.  It has gotten so bad that the poor principal has started locking the doors and not letting everyone in until 20 minutes before the program so people can't save a block of three rows.  It does lead to more running and shoving, which is equally repugnant to me.

Livi's "graduation" (ridiculous because she still has another year of preschool) was like both squared.  Great Uncle Abner and every third cousin twice removed was there.    There was standing room only by the time it started, and gifts could be seen for the little "graduates."

It was a very cute program, they sang songs and were adorable, but then after the intermission there was the whole Pomp and Circumstance with our little graduates coming out and getting scrolls.  If I had rolled my eyes harder they probably would have gotten stuck in the back of my head, but Livi had fun, and I guess that is what should count. 
Livi with her best girl friends, Sophia, and Bristol

My favorite song, but of course my phone ran out of memory half way through. I'm still not sure what rhymes with "turtle" or "elephant" but it was cute to watch.
All the little "graduates" lining back up.
Looking tired, but happy it is over!
Here is the video of the last time the kids would sing their good-bye song together. Kind of a sad moment for me. She is growing up too quickly.

1 comment:

Joan said...

I can't believe they have little graduation caps and whatever the shawl things are called. They really do go all out. I am soooooo glad that I didn't have to attend a graduation for each of my children for every year of their education. That would have worn me out completely! Good luck with that! But it did look like the kids enjoyed it.