Thursday, July 11, 2013

Unlucky Number 13, or I hate to ask how my year can get worse



I ran a google image search for "scary number 13" and what popped up was kind of...odd.
Okay, Maleficent IS scary, but "13"???

These clearly Canadian-TV-kid's-show monsters? Creepy, yes.  Scary or 13, no.
Google is clearly losing it...

Pancakes and chocolate milk? Health advocates may shake in their boots, but what about my stupid search for "Scary Number 13"????

At least it is a 13.  More of a "dirty, dilapidated, and fuzzy 13" but I'll take it.

To preface, I know how lucky I am.  There is LOTS in my life that is great.  This post is more about the impossibly unlucky week, and year that I have had...SO FAR!!! (maniacal laughter here)

I am not a superstitious person.  I don't avoid ladders, or throw salt over my shoulder (after a recent Dr Who villain I will make a point of NOT throwing salt over my shoulder).  I don't believe numbers or dates can be in-and-of themselves bad luck...well, I didn't.

2013 has not been a stellar year for me in anything.  We reached our health insurance co-pays by the second week in January.  My mind, body, and metabolism seem to have all broken.  The kids have been sick a lot, and I will never live down the marshmallow incident.  I have had weird interactions with people which just make me crazier, making people seem even weirder to me.

We had to replace a few things around the house, get a new lawnmower, but honestly, financially things didn't feel too bad until...da duh DUH...Eric's car died.  

It was very sudden, but not totally unexpected.  The car was over 15 years old and had a lot of wear and tear.  Still, we were hopeful to get a few more years out of it, but then the shaking started.  It would shake like a tiny purse dog, and then not shake, and then shake even harder, all in the course of one drive.  It would idle high and then impossibly low.  We took it in and got the bad news: the car was in critical condition.  Basically everything that wasn't the motor or the transmission needed to be replaced URGENTLY.  The poor mechanic looked at Eric and said "if I were you I wouldn't even bother."  Wow, when the mechanic tells you not to dump money into a car you know it is bad. 

We debated what to do, but eventually decided to use the money we would have spent fixing it as a down payment on a new (to us) car.  Although I think a little piece of Eric died not getting the truck he wanted, we were able to get a great used 2012 Toyota Camry for $4000 less than blue book. 


 Still, we muddled through.  We depleted all our resources, but we made it work.

This week has made the rest of this year seem like child's play (or jello, because jello seems nice, quiet, easy going, and generally non-upsetting). 
-On the 4th of July our front door broke.  Some of the framing split and the door wouldn't close...at all.  Eric and I managed to man handle it back in place, but then it wouldn't open.  At all.  Luckily we have a garage that we go through most of the time, so we started looking at replacement doors to order.
-On the 6th my vacuum stopped working.  It turns on for a while, doesn't suck, and then over-heats and shuts off.  
-On the 8th we were just going in the house when we heard a large bang and the garage door seemed to fall.  Turns out IT is now broken.  I was afraid we would have to enter and exit by the front windows for a while but Eric managed to rig the front door using unsightly screws so the door opens now (who knows for how long).  
-On the 9th Eric noticed our sprinklers are having major problems (but he managed to fix most of that).   
-Today...I came home from buying a new garage door opener and the lights in the garage wouldn't turn on.  Yep, something funky is going on.  After much jiggling and crying they came on.  I hope it is just the unusual heat, but I know in my heart it will be something crazy and expensive with our electrical.

I am not sure if I want to know what is next so I can prepare, or if I just want to be turned into an ostrich and put my head in the sand. All I know is I probably should go on a plane or buy any lotto tickets right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry, Nicole. Crappy. I hate when things break. I am in sort of a broken stuff cycle myself. lets commiserate together at Aspen Grove over lots and lots of ice cream (or cheesecake, whcih is what I told Chris I needed today, stat.)

I hope things get better soon.