Sunday, January 16, 2011

8, 8 Year Olds; or Losing My Mind


Ethan playing with a birthday present (I'm not sure if the game was the best present or me giving up on trying to keep our house relatively video game free)


Ethan is 8. I can't believe it. Some how my baby boy is old enough to be baptized. This seemed to be the birthday that wouldn't stop, kind of like our Christmas celebrations. Next year needs to be more low key, or my brain is going to burst.
Ethan's birthday was on Sunday, so the day before we went and got his big present: 2 fish and 2 crabs. Our kids "helping" to get the aquatic life situated

The next day church was at 9, so you can imagine what time we had to get up to open presents and get everyone ready on time.
Later that night we had the Bagleys over for cake, and a little bit of playing.
Saturday (yesterday) we had his birthday party. We only have friends over for parties on even years, so this was the dreaded..er...wonderful year Ethan could have a party. I let him invite 8 friends (plus Maddi for Ella) so we had total 8, 8 year old boys. It lasted for 1 1/2 hours, which was about 1/2 hour too long (for me). We played Jedi training with light sabers, pinned the light saber on Yoda and ate pizza and cupcakes.
It was actually really fun, and Ethan had a great time, and that's what matters...but... I get a little sad when one kid comes up and asks "Why is your house so junky?" and another tells me "Your kids rooms are too messy." Ah the problems of moving into a higher socioeconomic area and school. I want to laugh it off, but I tried hard to have the upstairs totally presentable and clean, but I didn't pick up the play room. Shame on me.
I have a migraine and a sore throat this morning and I'm not sure if I'm sick or just tired, but either way I'm going to curl up in a dark room, listen to a book on tape, and put off cleaning until Ella's party in May. I'm going to need my energy if I'm going to have the house acceptably clean.

5 comments:

Julia said...

1. Are the fish and the crabs in the same container? If so, I hope you don't have a recurrence of the fish massacre that James' tank did, with evil Crabby.

2. Isn't 8 an even year?

3. 8 year old boys are morons, don't listen to them. You should have told him to clean up the play area to his satisfaction while everyone else played light sabers.

4. Love you!

Nikki S said...

Julia
1. They are in the same container, but the fish won, both crabs were conveniently found dead yesterday.

2. Yes, yes it is. I am sick, and wrote it wrong. It has now been corrected.

3. How bad must it be for 8 year old BOYS to notice? I'm thinking they all have maids though (at least that's what I tell myself).

4. Love you too!

Heather said...

an eight year old by hurt my feelings when I was 24. They are just mean boys.Don't pay them any attention.

Sharonbees said...

How fun to have a Jedi Academy! You're so clever. I bet Ethan had lots of fun.

Michelle said...

I had a neighbor girl (who has since moved away) who used to comment on how messy my house was every time she came over. It was really annoying! I agree with the first poster that you should have made him clean while everyone else was playing. You are such a good mom to have a party. I'm glad Ethan had a great birthday!