Thursday, January 27, 2011

You Think You Want Them Till You Need Them...

Ethan has been completely convinced that he needs eye glasses. I've told him several times that if he can see the books he is reading and the board at school just fine, then he doesn't need glasses. He does not believe me. I've taken him into my dad's office and had his eyes checked. They are fine. He still thinks he needs glasses.
When I went home at Christmas I picked out some new glasses for myself (it's amazing that after 3 years and a baby my eyes didn't stay the same!). I was telling Dad's wonderful glasses tech, Connie, all about Ethan's obsession when she came up with a wonderful idea. Dad opened a optical shop in his office a few years ago and since 8 year olds don't come in very often (they don't seem to get cataracts or glaucoma as much as 80 year olds) the kids glasses don't sell quickly. In fact there were some frames that they can't even order anymore so she suggested I take a pair for Ethan to wear.
I brought them home and told him to see if his eye sight improved with the new glasses. He put them on, looked around and declared that the glasses (that have absolutely no prescription at all) had indeed helped him see better. I said great, and left it at that.After a few days of wearing them all the time I noticed they seemed not be needed as much as before, and now he has completely stopped talking about glasses. I'm glad that he realized glasses aren't as fun as he hoped, but poor guy, he will probably need them in a few years anyways.
Connie also found a pair I could take for Ella so she didn't feel left out, but funnily enough it was Livi who wants to wear the glasses all the time.

2 comments:

jes said...

I pulled that as a child, but it was with braces. There is no fake test-driving those dumb things. And I really needed them. Five years of suffering as a little girl for not, #10 has rotated again.

Julia said...

I LOVE Livi in glasses! Your kids are so stinking cute.