Friday, October 7, 2011

Stop Being So Great! - Updated...Again

My sister wrote this really great post about how we are always a little worried that our lives are too great so something bad is about to happen. I would link to it but I am too lazy, so I will try to summarize.

Due to too many seminary videos, feel-good books and movies, and our general ability to over think/sympathize, we are cursed with feeling like something bad is around the corner ready to take us down. I am always a little scared that one of us will get cancer, loose a limb, or be poverty stricken. Our lives are just too easy, so something is about to happen to fix that.

Eric especially frightens me. He is just too good. He is a wonderful husband who puts up with how hard I am. He works so dang hard for us and never criticizes when I spend too much money on stupid stuff (shoes definitely not included, because they are never stupid). He will watch chick flicks with me, listens to my rants and encourages me to pursue my hobbies. Eric is always willing to watch the kids if I need a break or come home from work to empty the mouse trap because I am too much of a chicken (it is harvest time and we have a field up the street=a few little visitors every October./ GROSS!!!!)

A couple of days ago I woke up to this: Eric not only got up with the kids (which happens more often than not, since I have trouble falling asleep), but when the girls asked for a tea party for breakfast he made them warm (not hot, because hot is too hot) chocolate and gave them cut up pop tarts. On a work/school day. When he could have just told them "not now" or "how about on Saturday?"

It made me tear up for a couple of reason:
1. I am overly emotional and have PMS
2. Look how happy those girls are!
3.He is SUCH A GOOD DAD!!!
4. Now something bad has to happen

Okay, so nothing bad has happened to me yet, and my life has been blessed from day one, but when someone I love does something so sweet I almost want to tie them up in their room so they can't go out into the world. Or cut off a toe. That would even things out, I think.

UPDATE:
So I am sitting here, alone, on a Friday, while Eric is tromping around the forest looking for a blood trail for a buck he got with an arrow, dragging along our 8 year old son, way past his bed time. Whew...saved.

Re-UPDATE (???):
So Eric spent all night following the blood trail of the buck, slept in his car, and went out again this morning to follow the trail again. He found the trail, and realized he had no way to ensure the deer bit the dust so I had to drive 45 minutes out to Bridgeport to bring Eric back his bow (he brought Ethan home last night before going out again and left the bow here for some reason), and then 45 minutes back. He will probably be gone all day, and butchering all night. So, Eric probably wont be hit by a semi while helping a little old lady change a tire in the middle of a tornado. We are fine in the cosmic balance for at least a year. But, I do smell a new pair of shoes coming my way...

1 comment:

Julia said...

This was hilarious and awesome, and pretty much exactly what I said to McKay after one "inspirational" general conference story. "See?? THOSE people were pretty much perfect, and now she's a widow, and I'm supposed to be happy she's an awesome widow. SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN." Maybe the big trial in our life is just the fact that we have to go around waiting for the ax to drop all the time.