Thursday, February 16, 2012

Room Redo, Part Deux

Beautiful drawing by my brother James now hanging in the "new" room.

James and Jes are coming to visit for a "fun" weekend adventure here in Scottsbluff. I say "fun" in quotes because I do live in western Nebraska, which although a wonderful place to raise a family, is about a 2 on the fun scale. (1 being Kansas, and Miami being a -5, which means you couldn't pay me to visit there again). I have been trying to get things ready for them, but being the reverse procrastinator that I am (I do, do things, just not the thing I am supposed to be doing) instead of working on the bathroom downstairs like I should, I decided I had to redo the living room.

It was one of the first rooms I worked on when we moved in, and there are several other rooms that still need to be painted, let alone redone totally, but for some warped reason I just had to redo that room RIGHT NOW!!! It has always bothered me that the room turned out nothing like what I wanted, and that it was not a reflection of me in the least. It is the first room you see when you visit, but really there is no excuse. Instead of tiling the bathroom, or cleaning the kitchen, I repainted the living room.

For reference: Before, Interlude, Now First off, I painted all the wood work white, which looks amazing ("I'm very good aren't I", to quote Julia). There are 3 different colors of wood in the house and I've decided that I'm just going to have to paint it all white if the house is ever going to look put together.

It did turn out VERY teal, and not the lighter version I thought it would be (even after hanging those stupid paint chips up for weeks). It is super bright, but I smile every time I walk by. It is just a breath of fresh air after the stodgy darkness of before. It is now a reflection of me. It is my style completely. I may have to repaint if we ever have to sell this house, but in the mean time I love it. I can't wait to hear what my neighbors or ward members think about it! I'm sure they will let me know just how much they love it too (and by love I mean hate, just clarifying since sarcasm is hard to pull off in print).

4 comments:

Julia said...

Ooh, I love it! When McKay and I own a house, I need you to come and teach me your magical ways. And your ward can suck it, because you and your house rock.

Joan said...

Nicole, I like the room before and I like this version also. The most important thing is that YOU like it and feel comfortable in it, not what others think!

Sandee said...

I wish you were here to help me spruce up my home. I am interior design challenged.

Meliss said...

Well, I for one LOVE it!! I liked it before everything was put back together and I like it even more now. It looks amazing. Like a preview of spring. Is it just me or did your chair transform over night? (I thought that wasn't possible being that we are in a very product availability challenged Scottsbluff!)