Monday, August 27, 2012

Carhenge - Yep, that's how we roll in Western Nebraska

Before I start: Cara - It was the 10th Doctor that we got particularly attached too.  The girls weren't interested until he came along (the 9th just wasn't as cute, I think).  Also, I cry almost every other episode, so you are still more stable than I am, Julia.  I have bawled several times (but part of that might be because I was sick, at least that's what I tell myself).

Onto CARHENGE:

A few days before school started Eric announced that he was going to Alliance the next morning for a hearing.  Because I was a little sick of being left alone with the kids and I felt like the kids hadn't had enough fun this summer (with Disneyland, Legoland, the beach, Aspen Grove and Canada), I thought it would be good to get out of the house and drive with Eric.  I had never been to Alliance, and their claim to fame: CARHENGE.

What is Carhenge you may ask?  Well, some really red-necked (in the nicest sense of the word) individuals thought it would be cool to recreate Stonehenge out of...you guessed it...CARS.  It IS listed in a bunch of "Weird America" type books and on a travel special, so I thought living only an hour away it was a shame we had never seen it.
Well... now we can say we saw it.

They really are old cars, sunk into the ground.  Old, rusty, tetanus inducing cars.

Besides the actual "Carhenge" there were also other sculptures made out of cars, like this scary fish that Livi didn't want to turn her back on.

Ethan shaking hands with a giant T-Rex (he loved the forced perspective of the photo).


It is hard for them to keep people from spray painting and writing their names on it.  I must say, it doesn't detract from the "art" at all.

The girls started digging this car up until I noticed the "sign" on the front that indicated this was a time capsule from the local school to be dug up in 2040.  Kind of a cool way to do a time capsule!
Now we can say we saw it, but I don't think we will need to go back in the foreseeable future.  If you come visit us and really want to see it I may be persuaded to give you directions...maybe.

3 comments:

Sharonbees said...

Man! Now I have to get back to Nebraska again. How have I lived so long without seeing Carhenge?

James said...

Carhenge sounds like the greatest thing. Ever.

I am now planning a trip to Alliance.

Joan said...

With Carhenge close by, there is unlimited things to do in Eastern Nebraska. Oh, to be so lucky!