Monday, April 22, 2013

I'm Only 95% Crazy! or Day 2


I wrote this whole long post about how great it was to learn about Misophonia and indirectly Hyperacusis from my cousin Megan.  How it felt so great to feel a little less guilty about hating the sound of eating (and whistling, and the TV, and other everyday noises) because it is a neurological condition that you can't help.  But then I talked to my Mom and told her about how excited I was to learn about it, that I felt like a little less horrible of a person.  Then she said "yep, you get easily annoyed with sound." Well... I guess I can go back to feeling like a meanie headed jerk.

Day 2:

Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and describe how they became fears.

See James' post about "legitimate."

#1: Being trapped in my own head.  There is almost nothing I fear more than being completely unable to move but being aware of everything around me.  I think mostly it would be because I wouldn't be able to argue or correct people when they are wrong. I'm not sure how I got this fear, but I have had panic attacks just thinking about this (literally).

#2: The death of a child (or Eric).  It is not fair to have a fear that grows exponentially as you increase the amount you love.

#3: Snakes, Sharks, Lightening, and now, thanks to Eric, climbing Mount Everest. Basically anything that is HIGHLY unlikely to happen but if it does then you die a horrible, gruesome death (and then a Yeti eats your carcass).

On a different note, a slice of my life with Livi:

She wanted to eat all my peeps (not people, the marshmallow candy), but being a favorite I told her I didn't want to give her some and then have her only eat one and then waste the rest. She promised she would eat them all, then one minute later 4 bunny peeps were handed back to me. She then said "Mom, peeps look little on the outside but then they get bigger in my tummy...like the TARDIS."  Hard to get mad while laughing so hard I am crying.

Meeting her friend at Walmart who just got a baby brother Livi was explaining to the girl that we don't have a baby.  She then further explained "there isn't a baby in there.  It only looks like there is a baby in her tummy" while patting my stomach.  Not so much laughing and a little more crying with that one.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I don't know. I think misophonia is real and I know it can't be helped. My friend, who I have known since high school, has to leave the room sometimes because of it. She has tried numerous distracting techniques and she deals with it well but is conscious of it all the time. Does that make sense? She jokes about it but it really is a problem!
I don't think you are a meanie. You are just like my friend and many others: ultra aware of the environment in which you reside.

Ryan said...

Interesting list of fears. Number 3 is actually a list of my favorite things, and I didn't know you were afraid of snakes. Hunting for snakes and swimming with sharks are some of the highlights of my life. Also, I've already talked to guides, and I'm committed to climbing Everest as soon as I can afford it, hopefully, for my 40th birthday.