Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pretty Pretty Princesses or Why Can't We All Keep The Magic Of Childhood?

It has been really fun to go to Disneyland so much, not only for the obvious reasons, but also because you don't feel so much like you have to hit the big, well known attractions.  You can explore, try some of the smaller rides, or try experiences that you wouldn't if it was your only time to go.  I feel a little stupid even writing things like this because most people don't ever get to go to Disneyland, let alone multiple times per year.  I feel pretentious and obnoxious, but since this goes in our photo album I should write about it.

I don't know why, but one of the things we have never done is the Bippity-Boppity-Boutique.  Ok, I do know why, it is expensive and takes a LOT of time out of the day, but with two absolute princesses it seems odd we have never done it.  One of Dad's employees mentioned how much her granddaughters enjoyed it and showed us pictures so we decided to give it a try.

This is definitely NOT an every time type of activity for Disneyland, but it was amazing and, of course, I cried.  To start off with you have to have an appointment ahead of time so when you get there you wait until you are called, and they make you wait, of course, in a princess shop full of the most fun costumes.  I still desperately wish they sold adult princess costumes at Disneyland (thanks for lying Big Bang Theory), but I can live vicariously through my girls, that's totally healthy, right?

When the girls get called, "Princess Olivia" (I was the "Queen", making Mom "The Queen Mother" I guess) they are walked back to a beauty station and their very own "Fairy God Mother In Training."  They get to pick out one of three looks (at least with our package) and then the magic begins.
I have never had Livi sit so well for me when I do her hair,
Every time they sprayed detangler, hair spray (lots and lots and lots of hairspray) or glitter they have the girls put up these shields.  As an Ophthalmologist's daughter I thought it was a smart touch.
I think having her hair so gently played with for such a long time was relaxing for Livi, she kept closing her eyes.

Ella has so much hair it took twice as long as Livi just to get it in a slick ponytail.  I had a few people ask if the girls hair was real, or if we had extensions put in there (yeah, cause I am totally the type of Mom who puts extensions in her 4 year old's hair).
When their hair is mostly done they have a helper (I guess a Fairy God Mother In Training- In Training) come over and paint their nails.  They also get real makeup put on, face stickers to choose from and accessories that go in their hair.  Any of the choices they didn't choose goes in their goodie-bags and they take it ALL home.

Ella getting the final touch (gallon) of glitter
Livi ended first so she came over to admire Ella and "help" her pick which face jewels to wear.
The final results:
 I asked Ethan if he wished he had gotten the boy makeover (they do have one) and he responded with this:
Now this is the part that made me cry.  I feel stupid I cried, but there is something about the magic of Disney, helping to maintain the innocence of childhood, combined with the look on the girls' faces that show they believe totally that magic could exist in this world, that just hits me so hard at moments like this:

No comments: