Monday, May 19, 2014

Goin' to the Getty Part 1

For my 18th birthday I was lucky enough to have a wonderful boyfriend, and two great friends who were willing to humor me and my nerdiness and go to the Getty Art Museum (not something most 18 year olds want to do for fun).  I hadn't been back since, but I had always wanted to since I had had such a wonderful experience the first time.

My mom pointed out that the kids were probably old enough that we could possibly have a good time at the Getty.  We arrived on one of the busiest days (Spring Break gets us again) and had to wait in line just to get some food.  One we had full tummies and empty bladders (which getting 3 kids to all go even if they "don't need to go" is a chore itself) we were able to head off and enjoy the compound of museums.
The first building is always one of my favorites because it houses the illuminated manuscripts.  It also held Livi's favorite piece "Venus and Mars Embracing."  She stared at it a good 10 minutes, which was fine, but then I would try and get her to go into another room to look at manuscripts or stained glass windows and she would always want to go back.  We kept going back, because I like that she was interested in art, but I was starting to get a little concerned by her obsession with the sculpture, and was able to finally pull her away with a promise of M&M's.  Because no matter how intriguing kissing, naked people are, M&M's are better when you are 5.
They have a small kids area where there are some interactive stations that incorporate famous art in other parts of the museum.  Here the kids made the creepiest masks ever, to match the creepiest painting ever

There is also a reproduction of an 18th century French aristocrats bed. 
Livi was VERY taken with the real thing, and although very respectful of the bed and good about not touching, she did inform me that she WILL have a bed like that when she is grown up.  Yep, because I totally have my VW Bug, and pink bedroom.
Also in the kid center (which was actually quite empty.  I think the rest of the museum was busy with all the teachers and professors on Spring Break) was a giant illuminated manuscript the kids could add to using white board markers.
Ethan added a ghost and a farmer saying "You scared me," because all provincial landscapes need more ghosts.
On this one he added the shepherd saying "Let me just check my email," and the sheep exclaiming "WHAT?"
The craziest story is yet to come, including one of my worst nightmares as a mother, but I have to go get kids in a second, so I'll make this a two part post.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Were 18th century French people super short, or what?? What was the reasoning behind the tininess of that bed?