Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Goin' to the Getty Part 2, or Train of Doom

One of the reasons I was excited to go to the Getty again is because they are having an Ansel Adams exhibit and I really do love good photography.  This was the very end of the day and Livi was DONE.  She hung on for a long time, through statue halls, impressionist paintings, and even 18th century paneled rooms, but this was her breaking point and I just wanted to quickly look at the prints.  She was whining and pulling on me so I did what every great mother does and handed her my phone to play a game.  She then decided that the one place in the WHOLE museum where you can't take photos would be a good place to start her budding photography career.  I got yelled at by a guard, who seemed awfully mean about a 5 year old taking pictures, which means I got beet red and teared up (because I fear breaking rules) but then looked at the photo she took and thought her interesting composition  was worth it.
 We went out into the gardens before we left, and was sad to see we couldn't go in the majority of it because they were trying to fix the problem of the sun scorching all the plants planted around the water. Who would have thought that the sun could get really hot in Southern California? Oh, everyone who has ever spent time there in the summer??? Yep.
 In the background is the arch that Eric and I took a picture in front of for my 18th birthday.  It was part of the roped off area and I'd had my fill of being yelled at by authority figures so didn't risk going down for a photo.
To get to the Getty itself you have to park down below the mountain and then take a train up to the museum itself.
On our way back down we barely made it to the stop in time and Ella raced right on.  I was right behind her, but the door closed right in my face.  She was on the train, all by herself, surrounded by strangers, in L.A.  Luckily they are the type of people in L.A. who frequent fine art museums, so they tried valiantly to get the doors open, but none of our efforts worked.  The automated train started taking my 8 year old off without me.  I yelled at her to wait down at the platform for me and not go anywhere.

It was an excruciating 5 minutes waiting for the next train.  I could have run down the path, but didn't think my already tired knees and out of shape body would get me there any sooner than the train.  As we pulled up there was at least 5 workers who saw our group waving at Ella and cheered.  The group of strangers on the train alerted the workers about the situation and those workers kept close to Ella.  I will never see those people again, but I am thankful to them from the bottom of my heart.  It's not typical California behavior (outside of Disneyland) and honestly nothing probably would have happened, but it made me happy to know that there are still good people out there

2 comments:

Joan said...

When I heard that you were taking the kids to the Getty, I thought you were very brave and that they would be miserable. From these postings, I can see that I was wrong. It looks like a fun outing for all of you - even something they will long remember.

Mom/Nancy said...

Nicole, this story brought tears to my eyes. I have always feared being separated from one of my kids and I can only imagine your fear! So glad it all worked out well!!