Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Author and Illustrator

Ethan has always had a fascination with drawing. He also has inherited Eric's love of writing books. Last night he set up a little desk area on the table and went to work on a project. I wasn't really sure what he was doing, I just thought he was drawing like usual. 30 minutes went by, not unusual, then an hour, then 1 1/2 hours, so I finally asked what he was working on. He said "A book." I decided not to pry and just wait till he was done. It took about 2 hours 15 minutes, but I finally got to see the masterpiece. It is a book that has a top and bottom. The top of the pages talk about who are the moms of different things, like pokemon, babies, and Mickey Mouse. The bottom of the pages, when you flip the book, is a collection of songs, all but one of which he wrote by himself, that have to do with the same subjects. There is a song from Pokemon, a song about Olivia and Carter, a song about Mickey Mouse, etc.
I can't believe how good the pictures and writing were for someone who is only 6. He's got a great little work ethic, and I think we should be putting our energies in this direction instead of the failed soccer/basketball route.Notice the concentration. Notice the uncomfortable position he "sat" in for most of the time.The book is called "Poke-Moms" and "Poky Songs" on the flip side.This says "A Sudowoodos mom is a Sudowoodo" and "A Bonslys mom is a bonsly." They are pokemon characters, and if you know them, the illustrations look pretty close. The flip side has a song about Brock, a character from pokemon. It says "Broco can cook. Borco cooks the best. O Broco can cook O Brocko cooks, cooks the best. O Broco can cook." There was even a tune to it!
This one says "A Carter's (Cardrs) mom is a human (hyoomon)," and "Olivee's Mom is a human." I noticed Melissa and I look pretty similar in our pictures! Funny guy.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Ethan may turn out to be a writer. Good job to Ethan. And Livi...I think she's much cuter than a golden retriever, but Casey is a very cute dog. I remember all of my children playing in the dishwasher. What is the attraction there?