Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's Not Easy Being Lois Lane

Okay so I'm not a successful reporter, but some days I feel like the Lois Lane to Eric's Superman. I sit at home doing things that feel important, immersed in my own life, expecting him to pay attention and act like he is interested in the petty goings on, all the while he is out there saving the world. I'm sure Lois and Superman had conversations like ours:
Me: "Can you believe that Ethan is suppose to read 20 books this month. Every day he comes home and has to work on spelling and reading. When is he allowed to be a kid and run around? The bathroom is leaking again. I really wish you would look at that pipe again. I feel so lonely, why can't you throw the "conversation ball" back to me once in a while? I am so tired of playing the piano at church. My bottom hurts after sitting on a piano bench for 4 hours on Sunday, plus I hate practicing boring music all week long...etc. So, how was your day?"

Eric: "I was able to terminate the parental rights of some parents that had sexually abused their children, they were living in 2 ft of dog poo and the youngest child hadn't been bathed in 2 years. The judge was going to send them back home, but my well written brief convinced him to change his mind. My boss and the Attorney General of the State both called to tell me they were proud. Oh, and I was able to get them adopted by a neurosurgeon and his professor wife who is giving up teaching to give them a loving stable home. So tell me some more about practicing the piano."

Me: "Ummmmmmmmmm, never mind."

You may think I am exaggerating, but this is basically the balance of our conversations (and the Attorney General thing really happened). It's hard to complain about the little things when Eric sees so much worse and is literally changing children's lives. He may not get paid as much as some Skeezy ambulance chaser lawyers, but I doubt Clark Kent was rolling in dough either.
I've been trying to do things that I feel are a little more of a .... hmmmmm...... contribution to our society, however locally it may be. I had the opportunity to play the piano for some kids in our ward for our Middle School orchestra recital. I thought "great, culture in Scottsbluff." Well, our piece turned out well, the rest I may have had to look at the program to see what piece was playing, but it was fun to feel apart of something outside of my home. They may have spelled my name wrong, it may have only been for 2 minutes, and I may have hit some wrong notes, but I had a blast! (kind of sad, but there it is, I am Lois Lane).

4 comments:

Pam said...

If you only knew what difference you really truly do make you would be at awe at yourself! Keep up the great work!

Heather said...

I feel the same way...I feel the same way.

Joan said...

Remember what the prophets have said - "The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home." Even though it seems like dull, thankless work, it is important. You are shaping the lives of three of God's children. Now, that's important! Oh, and I've always loved your writing style. You always deliver.

proudmamablogga said...

I am Lois Lane too ;). Well put.