Monday, March 22, 2010

We Love Dad (but not Mom)


Maybe some day it wont hurt so much. Maybe one day my kids will like me as much, but until then Dad is the clear favorite. When Eric gets home everyone is happy. They race to the door, jump all over him, and beg for him to play. It's hard to be the parent that no one likes, that is in charge of most of the discipline, chores, and limiting of favorites (i.e. chocolate and tv) It's hard that Livi has been able to say "Dad" since she was 8 months old, but still at 17 months refuses to say "Mom." It's hard that the kids fight to have Eric read them their bedtime stories. But on the same hand it is so nice. It is nice that my kids love their dad. It is nice that Eric knows our kids. He knows their favorite colors, favorite characters, favorite animals, what they are scared of, what worries them. Not all kids are lucky to have dads like that, so maybe Eric is my favorite too.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am usually the favorite and I can tell it makes Randy sad sometimes. It isn't easy being the ONLY one they will let do things for them.

Joan said...

Looks can be deceiving. Sure,the kids look forward to Eric coming home but a big part of that is probably becuase it gives them something new to do and someone else to play with. If things were reversed and Eric was there all day with them, I'll bet they would be EXTREMELY happy to see you come home at the end of the day. I know they love you!!!

Ryan said...

The best part of this picture is Ethan's pose.

Tera said...

Sometimes I think mom's get the short end of the stick. We put so many hard hours of labor into raising kids everyday, and dads get all of the fun.