Saturday, April 2, 2011

Parental Struggles, or the Pine Wood Derby

Oh that glorious time of year when Dads and kids can get together and butt heads on what tiny $4 wooden cars should look like. This was our first year that Ethan is an actual cub, so this was the first year (of course) that Ethan really cared about what his car looked like.

Eric with enthusiasm: "There are so many cool designs we can do! Let's go look online!"
Ethan with apathy: "My leaders said I'm suppose to do it myself."
Eric with a grin and a wink: "I know, but it doesn't hurt to get ideas from other people that have won."
Ethan with a frown: "I'm suppose to do it myself."
Eric with growing frustration: "I know Bud, but why don't we..."
Ethan cutting in, with LOUD voice: "I'M SUPPOSE TO DO IT MYSELF!!!!"

Poor Eric. Ethan's design not only was not what Eric would have picked, but Ethan insisted on the least aerodynamic positioning of the car by putting it in what most of us would have deemed "backwards."

To make up for this Eric decided both girls would enter their "own" cars. While I was in Utah Eric "helped" everyone design and cut out their cars. Ella had strong feelings about hers (shocker) so "lucky" Livi got the brunt of Eric's parental helping. When I got home I found a backwards car (Ethan), a pretty regular looking car (Ella) and.... a tank.

Yep, Eric thought this child:


would like this design:
Since I have the paints and Eric didn't want to traverse into the sinkhole that is my craft area, the cars had not been painted yet. For Family Home Evening we painted the cars, and I let the older two do whatever they wanted. For Livi I stepped in before Eric could grab the green and black and start brush camo-ing our princess babies tank. This was my compromise: Purple camo. I think they were both happy.

The big day arrived and this was how my girls dressed up for the big event: Ethan got 3rd place out of the cubs (out of 5, which still shocked us, we were just hoping for a participation certificate) and Caleb even took 2nd. Go Guys!!

Ella and Livi were in the open class. There were two other little kids....and a 16 year old scout from Eric's troop. Well it is no surprise that the 16 year old blew away all the 5 and unders. Ella was doing great until she went up against him. This was the devastation that we got to deal with: Luckily Ella still got 2nd, and Livi got "Best Paint Job." (Ha ha) Being a purple tank sure looks good, but it really was NOT the fastest design. Next year I'm going to make my own, I'm thinking a stiletto on wheels!

3 comments:

Stylus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Um, that deleted comment was me, but it said I was "Brent", which was unacceptable, so I deleted it. But here was my comment:

Hahahaha! I was howling during this whole thing. Unfortunately, I'm a heathen and I was reading it during general conference, and McKay finally said, "Uh, Julia, this isn't a funny talk."

Joan said...

Having four sons, you can imagine all of the cars our sons created over the years. Probably the most unusual was a big yellow school bus, which actually was pretty fast.