Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring Blues


I want a cat....or a job....or maybe a new hobby. Lately I've been feeling a real lack of purpose. I feel redundant. I know my job is an important one, no one could fill my shoes, etc. but lately it feels like any monkey with a credit card and a set of keys could contribute to my family what I do. I am just a little tired of doing laundry, picking up, and cooking.

This happens every Spring when I've been cooped up too long, and I know I will be fine after all the travel this summer, but for right now I just feel like driving down to Denver and spending myself silly, just to change the monotony. I try to feel connected by helping in the schools, participating in play groups, and reading our local paper so I can go to community events, but still I just feel lost. How do all you other mothers deal with this year after year?

4 comments:

Julia said...

I don't have kids, but I've been feeling the same way. I've decided to learn how to do a couple other crafts, partly to fill up time and partly because our apartment has little to no decorations. Personally, I want to learn how to make a colorful living room rug most right now due to the horrible brown carpet, couches, doors, etc.

Could you take more violin or ballet classes? Or something along those lines?

Susan said...

I discovered I am happier when I have a good book to read and a project I'm working on. Since that discovery whenever I feel like you described in your blog I look for a book or a project.
You knit, don't you? Can you find anyone who also knits and get together monthly to knit and "ooh!" and "ahh" over each others' projects? (I wish you could come to my house and knit with our group.)
As for a good book, have you read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"? Or "Little Britches" (a great book to read with Ethan.)

Meg said...

I read this a couple of days ago and there were no comments yet. As I have the same problem and no answers I waited until there were some suggestions. Then, I came back to read them. They are good ones. I wish I had better time-management skills.

utahutes01 said...

Wow, you really hit the nail on the head. This time of year is tough for me to! I have felt just like you PLUS felt a lot of guilt to, because I know how lucky I am to be able to stay home with my kids. Anyway, I've tried a "happy lamp" from Costco with some success (as part of the problem for me I think is lack of sunshine. Sometimes a good laugh is helpful (try funny movies or books.) I had a very nice daydream today about running away to somewhere warm - without my kids.
Christie