Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Day Blues/Celebration

Bitter/sweet does not do the first day of school justice. It is more like agony/joy or depression/elation. It is so nice to have the decibel level go down a little in the house. It is so nice to not see rooms destroyed immediately after spending hours cleaning them. It is nice to be able to watch "Veronica Mars" or "Alias" while I fold laundry and not have to pause it every time someone comes in the room.

On the other hand, I miss their funny comments. Livi misses her playmates. I... guess... I miss having an excuse to watch "Phineas and Ferb." Hmmmm, I know there are more things, but it is still too close to summertime and I am very happy to have a little quiet. Maybe I'll update later.

The kids both got different teachers the day before school started, which was a fabulous thing. Both had teachers I was a little "iffy" about, but got moved into classes with teachers that are enthusiastic and better suited to my kids. Both went from classrooms with almost no friends to classes with best friends (which I'm not sure is a total positive for Ethan who has a hard time paying attention anyways).

We went shopping for first-day-of-school clothes online, which Livi immediately had to be a part of. They, all 3, looked wonderful (meaning clean and dressed, which at this point in my recovery is progress) on the first day of school. I even managed to get up in time to do hair and put on respectable clothes on myself so I could go with them that first morning. They didn't seem to really care if I was there with them though. As soon as we got on school grounds they took off running to find their friends.I do miss them. I do worry about them. I do wonder if they are learning enough, socializing well, staying safe, making good choices, and concentrating when they need to (hint hint Ethan). But really, Livi, Tonks and I are enjoying a few hours of nap time/quiet time, and we all appreciate each other more when 3:30 rolls around.

1 comment:

Joan said...

I certainly remember and appreciated the "quietness" around the house once the kids went back to school. Mom's need it, that's for sure.