Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Not So Great Outdoors

A couple of weeks ago we decided to try camping. It is the first time we have gone as a family since Livi was born, and we thought we could handle it. Actually, Eric thought we could handle it. I threw a tantrum, and refused to be enthusiastic.

We went to a state park not too far from home, thinking that if things got too bad we could come back (actually I was thinking if things got too bad I could go back home and everyone else could enjoy their "experience").
Amazingly enough I think overall I had the most fun. I went in expecting torture (have you ever eaten with Livi at a restaurant?) but it was actually relaxing. "How so?" you may ask:Eric took care of all the food, so it was actually a break for me to just enjoy being outside. He was stressed out and declared that we were not going again for another 5 years, but I'm already itching to go again. When else can I have 4 s'mores and not feel guilty about it?

Sure, there was the crazy wind that woke us all up at 3a.m. and had us feeling like our tent was going to blow away with us in it, and Ethan popping up like a little prairie dog every 5 minutes to check and make sure we were all still there, sure Eric didn't catch any fish, sure I found my son playing with a rodent skull, but there was a lake to throw rocks in, Ethan got to catch toads (which he even picked up by himself!!!), and best of all I had the comfy, nice air mattress I demanded before I agreed to go, so I'm going to chalk this one up in the "fun" category, and next time we'll bring doughnuts for breakfast so Eric can enjoy the trip a little more!

For your cuteness quota I present "Livi and Tonks Running," ending, as all my videos do, with Livi saying "I want to see..."

2 comments:

Julia said...

Livi and Tonks pretty much max out in the cuteness quotient. And I'm glad camping was fun, I know I'm not going to react with any more enthusiasm the day McKay declares we should go camping. Luckily, though, McKay is cheap and camping equipment is expensive. So I think I'm good for a while.

Sharonbees said...

I don't know who is cuter here - your little blonde Livi or your little black mop Tonks. Too bad Eric didn't catch a fish. I can still taste the yummy garlicky trout from Waterton.