Thursday, September 29, 2011

It Can Only Get Better, Right? Or Failing, Nicole Style

The result of Livi "helping" me clean up dishes. I feel like it pretty much summed up this honestly, true story of my adventures yesterday.

Yesterday was one of those days. You know the kind, the kind where you sit back and watch it all happen and think "is this really happening?" Just one bad thing after another until you are sitting on a pile of "stuff" surveying the wreckage around you.

The day started off just right. I weighed myself on the scale and had gained 5 pounds in two days even though I have been watching what I eat. Nothing says "Good morning sunshine!" like 5 extra pounds you thought you had got rid of!

I then managed to drop my kids off late to school, the first time EVER. They made it in time for morning meeting but had to run to meet up with their lines that were already going in. Ella, being VERY conscientious of time, left the car with a screech and a moan.

Ella's wails and curses upon my head weighing heavily in my ears and the knowledge that I can't even diet correctly left me a little vulnerable. So when Livi declared from the back seat that she needed a doughnut I heartily agreed. We ran to the co-op, bought the biggest cream filled doughnut we could and I proceeded to stuff my face. Way to fail hard, Nicole.

Deciding to run some errands I went to Walmart to get deodorant (which I had run out of that morning, of course) and to see if Walmart had the USB device that is essential to make my brand new blue ray player work, but was not included in the package. It turns out that no, my Walmart does not carry it, and Oh, it's only $80 to get one online. Looking more closely, the blue ray player with built in wi-fi was only $50 more than the one I bought. Feeling a little dejected that I failed so miserably at purchasing a blue ray player that my husband had warned me we didn't need right now (yeah right, he should stay home with kids for 4 days with no spouse and no DVD player!), I left the check-out feeling like a miserable failure. Eric would never say "I told you so." but he does have a silence that seems to provoke the same emotion in me.
As I was leaving I noticed the Walmart greeter had set up the carts in a row, nicely waiting for people to grab one. I thought "Oh, I can be helpful and nice. I will put my cart in the row to help them out! Yea me!" Right as I placed the cart the greeter made a huffy noise and ran over to correct my cart placement.
Knowing I had failed to even put the cart back in its position correctly, which even elderly and special needs Walmart workers can manage, I left the store crying. Yes, actually crying. Which made me cry more, knowing I was crying for a ridiculous reason.

Putting my seat belt on, my phone rang, normally not a good thing that early in the morning. It turns out I had forgotten I had made a visiting teaching appointment and I needed to be there in all my splendid, snotty, glory in 20 minutes. Running home to let the dog out for a quick potty break I finally made it to the house 10 minutes late. Livi proceeded to literally jump off the furniture and yell at me about seating arrangements. Near the end of the visit I was left feeling a failure again since I do not have family prayer and scripture study 2 times a day like the two other ladies there.

Eric called right as I was leaving to ask if I wanted to go out to lunch at Culvers since he will be gone to Lincoln for 4 days, which was nice of him. I showed up in the worst mood possible after my wonderful morning, and proceeded to order a giant cheeseburger, large fry, and caffeinated drink, just to show my body I didn't care that it hated me.

The day followed the same vein with me not finding the shoes Ella wanted online, shortened nap times, doggy "presents" all over my carpet, missing ballet bags, alienating every living being I came into contact with, and me stuffing myself with sugary goodness until I was spent with crying, in pain with a stomach ache the likes of which I haven't had since the day after Halloween 21 years ago, and a killer headache. I finally decided to try and sleep because, heck, the next day couldn't be any worse, right?

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Julia said...

I'm so sorry! I teared up reading this (I tear up quite a lot these days), that would be so hard. I want to yell at that Wal-Mart greeter, I mean geez, if you can't be friendly, DON'T BE A GREETER!

Susan said...

We've all had those days, and can sympathize! That's because they make us more sympathetic! I believe in the restorative power of a good night's sleep! It's like dying and starting with a clean slate tomorrow.

Joan said...

Sorry you had such a bad day. I can relate to the scale problem and wanting to just throw in the towel. All you can do on those days is just pick yourself up and start all over again. Every day is a new beginning and a chance to move onward and hopefully upward. You can do it!

Sharonbees said...

You know my prescription for all kinds of trouble: a long, hot bath & a good night's sleep. Now if only Livi believed in the restorative powers of sleep ...