Sunday, January 8, 2012

Back in the Saddle, or Random Bits of Trip-age

So this is the disaster the day after we got back. It's been a journey, but I think at this point almost everything has found a place in our home. I'm recovering from yet another sinus infection so I'm too tired to tackle one of the big events. Here are just a few highlights from California:

The month of December had been a little hectic for my mom with an employee on maternity leave she had to fill in for, jury duty, and preparing for everyone to come visit. Knowing something had to be left undone she waited until we were there to get the Christmas tree. I thought it would be fun to take all the kids and pick out that perfect tree. The kids thought it would be fun to play at my parents house and let me do it myself (actually it probably was more fun that way!). So we headed off and found the a huge beautiful tree. What we also found was that many people were out shopping for trees. I was in charge of making sure no one snapped up our chosen tree while Dad and Jes looked to make sure it was the best (it was).
After finding one of the last rotating tree stand available in Lancaster we promptly broke it and had to go late at night to find a new one (okay, so I went to bed and my brothers went to get a new one), so we waited until the next day to decorate. The kids helped me and my mom, and it was so fun to point out my favorites, explain the meanings and to let them "help" hang the ornaments. We did have more ornaments per square foot on the lower half of the tree, but they really seemed to love it!
Sweet Autumn, my favorite niece, had her first birthday while we were there. She received a mutant stuffed Ewok from us that hopefully wont haunt her dreams (it looked cuter online!). We were a little afraid after Ebby snubbed his chocolate cake on his birthday that she would react similarly, but she relished her cake.

This next picture is my favorite one from the whole trip! We were lucky enough to see my favorite musical, Wicked, with the adults in my family. The Stotts were kind enough to introduce me to it a few years ago and I have been dying to go back. That's actually not why I love this picture though. I love it because it is one of the few I didn't have to photoshop my chin (thank you Aunt Diane for your photo taking tips)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your sinus infection. Yuck...
Looks like you could have used a few extra helpers with the unpacking and putting away :)
Your tree was beautiful. I loved the rich green color along with the sparkling ornaments.
Haven't seen "Wicked" yet. Will have to check into it.

Diane said...

You are Eric are such beautiful people! Love your blog! Sorry to hear you have a sinus infection, as I get at least one every year, so I am very sympathetic. Thanks for the kind words! Love you!

Julia said...

You and Eric look supa swank! Mad jealous of all the California fun, but I must say, you guys did pick one awesome tree. Kudos! Hope you're feeling a little better now, too.