Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Writing On The Wall, Literally

I've always wanted the kids to feel like this is their house too, so I try hard to let them feel their presence in the house. I always hang their school and homemade art for holiday, and the fridge is always a free space to hang whatever they fancy. I have decor that reflects their personalities too (okay, really it is my nerdy side coming out and I blame it on the kids but they seem happy about it), and generally keep the house "kid friendly" so they aren't walking on tip toe through any room in the house. I've found it keeps my blood pressure down, and the screaming to a minimum if I keep things around that aren't going to be broken the first time they are touched.

Even so, it seemed that the art was multiplying...like mice...or rabbits. I'm not sure when it started, but one day I noticed there were art projects up on ALL my walls. Even in my bedroom. I ultimately had to ask what was going on and was informed Ella was using her new easel A LOT and wanted to basically make our entire house into a gallery. We had to have a talk about asking first, and trying to keep the art to the main family room. I was feeling a little grumbly, asking myself (in my head) "where had she gotten the idea that it was okay to go around taping anything up on the walls" when I walked into the living room: Oh, yeah. Because I do it all the time.

No comments: