Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sibling Rivalries, or Ella's Birthday, or Longest Post Ever

It must be hard to be the younger sister.  Especially when you are 3.  I know it has been a hard week for Livi.  Not only did we have 2 birthday's that weren't hers, but we also had friends over for a party, and lots of talking about what Ella wanted.  What flavor cake Ella wanted, etc.  It has been an emotionally hard week for everyone, but especially Livi.

Bright and much too early we started out opening presents. 
Notice Livi is still smiling at this point.

Could Tonks be any cuter?  She looks just like a tiny Ewok!
Ella's birthday fell on a Thursday this year, which is my day to go in and help in her class.  I made special castle sugar cookies and spent my usual time plus recess with her.  Eric went to the school for a special daddy/Ella lunch, and I spent the afternoon finishing up Ella's cake.  You may think you shouldn't need an entire afternoon to finish up a cake, but when your daughter looks over your shoulder while you browse Pinterst.com and she sees the "most beautiful cake in the world" it takes a lot of time to execute.
It is suppose to be two pillows.  There was also suppose to be a tiara on top, but it had an "accident."

Livi did like helping make the cake.  Especially eating the icing.  Even the black icing!

We had the Bagleys over for cake...

and we all ended up playing in the backyard.  The hammock seems to always be a favorite for kids.

We spent most of Friday preparing for the PRINCESS EXTRAVAGANZA on Saturday.  We made most of the decorations and ended up making cupcakes (because I hadn't baked enough this week).

At 1 pm we had 8 princesses and 2 knights over for princess games (the boys mostly played down stairs and in the back yard).
The girls watching Eric pelt the boys with water balloons.  They all seemed fascinated with Ethan and Caleb which makes me a little scared for the future.

 We started out decorating crowns and having a tea party (cookies and chocolate milk).

We played hot potato with Cinderella slipper (amazingly enough I had a shoe that would work! ha ha)


We played pin the crown on Aurora, which Ella was very excited to win.

We played freeze dance, looked for the poison apple,

and then headed outside to break open the pinata.
 It felt weird trying to destroy a beautiful castle, but nobody seemed to hesitate taking a baseball bat to it.

 We went back in for cake.

It was finally time to open gifts and this is were Livi just couldn't take it any more.  She had watched me open boring gifts, Ella open gifts she couldn't play with, Daddy go to school to be with Ella, and now there was a giant princess baby, and it wasn't for her.

 It was more than she could bear.

At this point my heart broke for my tiny Livi.  I don't like buying the kids toys for no reason.  It is a slippery slope, but watching her just loose it, knowing none of the fun was for her was too much.  I decided she needed something too.  I promised her that after the party we would go get her, her own baby princess.
Maybe this isn't good for her, but watching her at Target and at home after, it was worth it!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Wow, you are amazing! That cake looks rad, and it looks like it was a really fun party! Ella looks like she really enjoyed it, she has a huge smile in every picture :)

Joan said...

That really was a sad face on Livi. Isn't it nice when little things can really pick up one's spirit? You give amazing parties. It makes me feel bad for the parties I threw for my kids.

Sharonbees said...

Wow! What a fun party! I bet Ella will always remember it. I'm with Joan - I could never have made it as a professional party planner.