Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fit For A Princess

I thought I should finally post a few pictures of our work around the house. Both kid's rooms are mostly done. Ethan needs a few pieces of furniture (and a good picking-up) but Ella's was basically ready to be photographed. If you remember we started with this:

It was truly the scariest room in all of the house we looked at. The carpet was blue, dirty (cat urine and feces), and worn away in some parts. The window didn't seal at all, and there was scary blue paneling on only one wall. Well, we bought the house despite that room, and tried our best to make it work for Ella:

We put in a new large window so we now legally have a 5 bedroom home. Right before we put in the window I decided I couldn't live with the paneling on one wall, so I started pulling it down. Luckily (maybe) I did, because it turned out our sprinklers were leaking right down that wall and the wall, insulation, and paneling was covered in mold and water. So we fixed the sprinklers, gutted half the room to the studs, sealed the cinder blocks, put in new insulation, put up new drywall (which Eric had help with from our handyman)
and I mudded,

sanded, mudded, sanded, and mudded the wall again all by myself.
I sealed the new walls,

painted, and we put in new carpet. Ella picked out wall colors, bedding and helped arrange everything. I asked Ella her favorite part of the room and she said the canopy and chandelier over her bed.
I like the "Tribute to Aurora."

I had silver frames from my sister's wedding that I filled with various styles of Ella's favorite princess Aurora.

It's lower than I would have liked (like most the room), but I wanted her to be able to enjoy it, and she does!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Is there anything you can't do? I'm impressed!

Marisa said...

Nicely done!!! It looks great, I love little home improvement surprises ;-)

Tami said...

You have been busy!! I love seeing the before and after!! Amazing!!

utahutes01 said...

Nicole you are amazing! I loved seeing you before and after pictures! Anna would love Ella's room! Her favorite princess is Aurora too. It's the pink! Love you! Christie