Sunday, October 11, 2009

Franken-Blankie and the Shelf from Hades


I've been a little under the weather lately and have neglected some of the upkeep around the house, but something happened yesterday that could not be ignored. Ella was playing a game with Eric involving tossing her blanket and Eric trying to get it away from her. All people who have ever loved a blanket know that this game is not a good idea, but Ella was unaware of the dangers, and unfortunately blankie got ripped up the middle. I had to pull out the sewing machine and repair the damage plus all the damage that I'd been putting off fixing. The results were great, super secure, but it does look a little like a blanket Frankenstein's Monster's daughter would love.

We have recently tried to make our house more live-able to cut down on my desire to move to a bigger home. It's really been working (thank you again Mom and Dad for the new couch, we LOVE it and it has made the single biggest difference! We love the entertainment tower too!). I also bought some shelves to put above the piano and have been trying to figure out how to get them to stay up on our plaster walls (never buy a home with plaster walls, no matter what the home inspector guy says about insulation and sound proof benefits, not worth it). I ended up having to repair the wall, call my dad, and eventually add shims underneath to keep the stupid shelf up, but I think it's worth it (or I'm just blinded by the hard work and effort put in, and it looks badly, and will probably fall down on my head while I play the piano).

5 comments:

Pam said...

It sounds like you and I are going through the same feeling s of our homes. I feel for you. There is just no way we would be able to sell our home the way the market is here in Michigan. The up side is I can clean our home spotless clean in about 1 1/2 hours.

Stefanie Miller said...

Nichole (Or do you go by Nikki? I didn't know...)- I just found your blog for the first time from Joan's blog, and have spent much longer than I should have reading through it and seeing your pictures (please don't look at what time I am posting this). I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed catching up on your life and getting to know you probably better than I ever have! It's not really fair that I do not have a blog, but hopefully I can see you soon! I'm glad you're doing well!

Stefanie Miller said...

p.s. My sister Ang just posted something about her kitchen similar to what you posted about your house. Have you been to her blog? www.loveurestruly.blogspot.com I think.

Michelle said...

The shelves look great-I hope they stay up for you.
I have a couple of the Signing Time videos and my kidsd have loved them. It is so fun when they start to learn to sign by themselves!

Tami said...

I remember how much you loved your blankie when you were little -- so clearly you understand how important it is to repair a damaged blankie!
It is really fun to read your blog!