Friday, October 16, 2009

The Little (Fire) Engine That Could

One of the benefits to living in a smaller community is the opportunities the kids constantly have to go on field trips. Ethan went to a pumpkin patch and a play this week, and Ella was able to walk to the fire department to visit the firemen. I couldn't go with Ethan because I had already promised to help with computers in Ella's class, and I have the girls during the morning. I was able to go with Ella, and it was a blast. The talk to the kids about fire safety and even dress up in their fire gear so the kids wont be scared if they ever need to be rescued by firemen in their full uniform. We got to see all the fire trucks, spray the hose and then the kids got to ride back to the preschool on a vintage fire truck. Melissa and I had Carter and Livi in backpacks so, alas, we could not fit on the truck, but we consoled ourselves by walking to the bakery and getting some yummy doughnuts. We then walked around until the end of preschool (about an hour and 15 minutes) hoping the babies would take a nap. Livi finally did for the last 20 minutes, but carrying around 30 extra pounds for that long really did a number on my knees. Oh well, the doughnut was worth it!


The poor little vintage truck stalled in the middle of the street, and after my initial mother's freak out of my daughter stuck in the road, I had to laugh.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That's awesome that you get to go with them for field trips. My kids school wont let us take siblings with us on field trips so I can't volunteer unless I also get a babysitter for the other two. It makes it kind of hard to want to volunteer.